I am regular on Mitch Joel’s blog and when he says a a video is “must-watch,” I listen to the man.
I haven’t posted an external video on this blog in years, but I think this content is definitely grow-worthy because it forces you to look at our online world through a new dataset, a new lens, that is quite thought-provoking and perhaps even disturbing.
The speaker in the video, Scott Galloway has a think tank called L2 and is also a marketing professor at NYU Stern. In this fast-paced talk he uses his research to make predictions on who is winning and losing in everything from social media and retail to brands and world economies.
In particular, I loved his insights on:
- Data declaring that Pinterest has been “blown off the road” and Instagram is emerging as the most dominant social platform on the planet.
- Why Tumblr is a clear “loser” (worst investment in the past 10 years?) and Twitter is taking too long to become a visual platform.
- China’s first world brand.
- An unexpected prediction about Apple and evidence that shows it is poised to be a “luxury brand.”
- Detailed views of an emerging Amazon strategy that is poised to shake the online world … but not necessarily disrupt brick and mortar stores.
And that is just the tip of the iceberg. There is lots of mind-blowing stuff here and I would love to hear your take on it in the comment section!
If you don’t see the video at the top of this post, click here to see Digital Winners and Losers video.