There is a steady drumbeat of bad news about content marketing …
- The output of content per brand increased by 78 percent in one year, but content engagement decreased by 60 percent at the same time.
- On social networks, brand-generated content is seeing the lowest engagement rates now than any other time. BuzzSumo reported that even the best content creators are seeing dramatic declines in social referrals.
- 50 percent of professionally-marketed blog posts receive fewer than eight social shares.
- Content Marketing Institute, the relentless cheerleader for all things content, reported in their new research that satisfaction with the measurable results of content marketing slipped from 38 percent to 30 percent in just a year.
A TrackMaven report concluded that a majority of professional marketing content fails to have an impact and calls this “the darkest picture to date of content marketing.”
BuzzSumo’s analytics genius Steve Rayson recently wrote:
Whilst in earlier years it was possible that if you produced good content it would get found and shared, almost by virtue of its quality, this is no longer the case. There is now so much content that even producing great content is not enough.
But despite the gloom, here is a fundamental truth: Content Marketing works. Which of course is part of the problem.
In fact, the more it works, the more people invest in content. The more content, the more competition. The more competition, the more it costs to compete just to maintain the gains … and this is exactly what we’re seeing in the marketplace right now.
The trick is adjusting to these new realities. How do we overcome that level of information density? How do we assign value to our work? And how do we produce content that rises above the noise?
That is the topic of our new podcast episode and one that will surely make you think and perhaps it will even cheer you up in the midst of all this gloomy news. There is a path forward, but we need to adjust to these new realities instead of denying them. Here’s how:
If you can’t access the podcast above, click on this link to listen to Episode 70
- Click here to download the latest episode or subscribe in iTunes
- Complete Marketing Companion Episode Guide
- Click here for the show’s RSS feed – for Android listeners.
- Find the podcast on Stitcher
Please support our extraordinary sponsors. Our content is free because of their generosity.
BuzzSumo is the world’s best way to discover, analyze and amplify your content. Run over to BuzzSumo today for a 14 day free trial and use the coupon MARKETING-COMPANION to get 20% off BuzzSumo for the first six months. Beyond data, BuzzSumo offers priceless insights to take your marketing to the next level.
GoToWebinar – a leader in online events – is one of the easiest and most effective ways to connect and convert your target audience. You can generate qualified leads, establish thought leadership and build brand awareness for up to 1,000 attendees. Trusted by start-ups to global organizations worldwide, GoToWebinar helps businesses reach over 40 million people each year.
Our podcast is also brought to you by Voices Heard Media. Please check out this tremendous resource for scaling social media engagement. Take a look at building an engaged and relevant audience through innovative new games, contests, analytics, polling platforms, and other innovations.
Illustration courtesy Flickr CC and Surian Soosay