America has been through a tumultuous election cycle, perhaps the strangest and most divisive time in the country’s political history.
What does it all mean?
Sure, a lot has been written about this, but it’s rare to get a behind-the-scenes glimpse from a person who was in the very heart of the process.
This week in our new Marketing Companion episode, Tom Webster provides extraordinary insight into what happened on election night and what it means to those of us in marketing.
- What happened to the polls, and what does it mean for the accuracy of market research?
- The downside of probability calculators and how they might have impacted the election.
- The role of “social desirability bias” and how it shows up on social media
- Was the election won on Twitter?
- How big data and analytics delivered the election win
- The importance of the focused message and a movement
- The impact of fake news
If you listen to one podcast, it would probably be This American Life with Ira Glass. But if you listen to TWO podcasts, you should listen to The Marketing Companion. Right? Check it out:
Resources mentioned in this episode:
Larry Rosin’s post The Hidden Group that Won the Election for Trump
If you can’t access the episode above, click on this link to listen to Episode 91
Other ways to enjoy our podcast
- Click here to download the latest episode or subscribe in iTunes
- Complete Marketing Companion Episode Guide
- Click here for the show’s RSS feed – for Android listeners.
- Find the podcast on Stitcher
Please support our extraordinary sponsors. Our content is free because of their generosity.
BuzzSumo is the world’s best way to discover, analyze and amplify your content. Run over to BuzzSumo today for a 14 day free trial. Beyond data, BuzzSumo offers priceless insights into content discovery, monitoring, influencers and outreach, content research and planning, and competitor research. Find out why so many Marketing Companion fans are now hooked on Buzzsumo. Check out BuzzSumo’s powerful technology to look at the hottest content trends down to the hour!
Affinio is now offering a FREE eBook co-authored with Mark Schaefer called How to Identify, Understand and Grow Your Ideal Content Audience. Check it out, as well as their new free audience Discovery tool. Affinio is an advanced marketing intelligence platform that leverages the interest graph to understand today’s consumers. Affinio believes that if we can understand individuals at a deeper and richer level, then we can fundamentally change the way people relate to one another. By understanding the interests and cultural DNA of key audience segments, marketers are empowered to take an audience-first approach to making meaningful connections with ideal consumers. Find out how at Affinio.com.
Illustration courtesy Flickr CC and Matt Derry